Biography - Wilson Brown

WILSON BROWN, physician and surgeon, Cobden, is a native of Union County, Ill., born December 5, 1845; is a son of Charles and Elizabeth (Grear) Brown. Our subject is one of ten children, eight of whom survive — Alson, Wilson, Martha J., Andrew, Amanda E., Laura I., Augusta and John W. The Doctor attended the pioneer log cabin schools, and also the Jonesboro Seminary. He was brought up on a farm. About the age of twenty, he began teaching school, and continued it successfully for fifteen terms, when he withdrew. He entered the study of medicine actively, with Dr. G. W. Schuchardt, of Jonesboro. He attended lectures at the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk, Iowa, in 1871-72, and graduated at the Missouri Medical College in 1876. Began the practice in the spring of 1872, at Unity, now Hodge Park, Alexander County, and afterward practiced at Jonesboro and Willard's Landing. In the fall of 1878, he had one case of the yellow-fever at Anna. In 1878, he located at Olmsted, Pulaski County, and in March, 1883, he came to Cobden, where he is doing a fine business. In connection with his professional duties, he attends to a drug store owned by C. L. Otrich, at Cobden. During his period of preparing for his chosen profession, he clerked in drug stores at Marion, Sparta and Jonesboro, by which he obtained means to forward his studies. He was married, May 18, 1881, to M. Anna Dodge, of New Grand Chain, Pulaski County, and has as a result of his union one child, Alice. His estimable lady is a member of the Baptist Church. He is an active Democrat. Dr. Brown is a specimen of a self-made man, possessing that indomitable characteristic necessary to succeed in everything he undertakes. He is pleasant, sociable, and merits the trust many people have already given him.

Extracted 30 Aug 2019 by Norma Hass from 1883 History of Alexander, Union, and Pulaski Counties, Illinois, Part V, pages 120-121.

Templates in Time