Biography - The Hall Family
HALL FAMILY. — Benjamin Hall was born in Maryland, on the coast, and was drowned in the Mississippi River, while engaged in trading by flat-boat on the river. His parents were natives of Charleston, S. C.
Green W. Hall, a son of Benjamin Hall, was born in Tennessee, and was educated principally at Baltimore, Md., where his parents had sent him, and where his education was liberal. At the age of twenty-one years, he left home, and commenced his own business career as a carpenter, a business he had learned from his father, who was a ship builder. He was about six years old when his parents moved from Tennessee to Union County, Ill. Here he has remained ever since, with the exception of about three years he was engaged at the Ferry at Commerce, Mo. He is now engaged in agricultural pursuits, which he has followed since 1860. He owns a fruit farm of forty acres, in a fine state of culture. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is identified with the Republican party. In 1834, he was married to Miss Minerva Douglass, a native of Tennessee, and a daughter of Henry and Nancy (Armstrong) Douglass, both natives of Virginia. Henry Douglass served in the war of 1812 and in the Black-Hawk war. They had twelve children, of whom seven are now living, viz.: Frank H., the oldest; John W. D., tin and slate business at St. Joe, Mo.; Margaret, wife of Thomas Crews, a bricklayer at Duquoin, Ill.; Eliza J., wife of James R. Kiger, a bricklayer of Jonesboro; Thomas W. C; Emma C, at home, and Athena A., wife of Alonzo King.
Frank H. Hall, a son of Green W. Hall, was born in Commerce, Mo., February 4, 1840. He was educated in the common schools, and learned more from his father and by observation and experience in business, than in any other way. He was raised mostly in Jonesboro, whence his father removed when he was but four years of age. When he was eleven years of age, he was apprenticed to A, C. Caldwell, a tin-smith of that town, and remained with him for four years, after which he worked for different individuals in Jonesboro and Anna until the year 1861, when he removed to Cairo, and worked for the Government on gunboats until Fremont had the Mississippi fleet ready to sail. He then returned to Vienna, and enlisted in Company A, of the One Hundred and Forty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, under command of Col. Lackey, serving for about four and a half years, and until the close of the war. He was at the siege of Vicksburg, and with the Army of the Cumberland. After his discharge from the army, he returned to Vienna, and engaged in business for himself — tin and general merchandise. In the fall of 1868, he was burned out, sustaining a loss of all his goods, and was compelled to again go to work, which he did, with his brother at Cincinnati, in the tin and slate roofing. In 1874, the year after the panic, he returned to Anna, and has since been here, working at his trade. In the fall of 1866, he was married to Miss Flora A. Elkins, a native of Johnson County, Ill. They have five children — Flora A., Mary C., Adaline, Maggie and Frank. Politically, he is a Republican; he is a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellows fraternities.
T. W. C. Hall, a brother to Frank H. Hall, whose sketch precedes this, is a native of Union County, and was born April 1, 1850, a son of Green W. and Minerva (Douglass) Hall. His early life was spent on his father's farm, receiving the benefits of a common school education. At the age of twenty-two years, he went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and engaged in partnership with his brothers, Frank H. and J. W.
D. Hall, in the roofing business. He remained there until 1878, when he returned to Anna, and engaged in the stove, tin and furniture business, in which he has been successful. He was married in Jonesboro, in September, 1875, to Miss Emma A. Hileman, a daughter of Daniel and Sarah J. (Hargraves) Hileman. They have only one child — Stella, born in Cincinnati June 29, 1876. Mr. Hall is a Republican, but does not take much interest in the political questions of the day.
Extracted 02 Apr 2017 by Norma Hass from 1883 History of Alexander, Union, and Pulaski Counties, Illinois, Part V, pages 68-69.