Biography - E Finch
E. H. FINCH, livery, Anna. The subject of this sketch was born in Wayne County, N. Y., on the 14th of December, 1818. He was the son of Andrew Finch, a carpenter and builder, and a native of Connecticut, born May 27, 1781. He built some of the first houses in Lyons, N. Y. In 1834, he removed to Ridgeway, Orleans Co., N. Y., and subsequently to Medina County, Ohio, where he died on the 22d of August, 1863. His wife was Catherine Crandall, of Kinderhook, N. Y., and was born November 24, 1787, and died in Medina County, Ohio, July 20, 1869. She was the mother of twelve children, six of whom are now living. E. H. Finch, our subject, was educated in the common schools of his native county, and at the age of fourteen years was apprenticed to the trade of blacksmith. He worked at the forge until 1850, and during the time was engaged in New York, Ohio, Michigan and Illinois, and in 1850 he came to the latter State, where he was employed on the Chicago, Alton & St. St. Louis and the Illinois Central Railroads, grading under contracts from the companies. He came to Anna in 1855, and engaged in the lime business with Mr. Cyrus Shick, an industry in which they are still engaged. In addition to this business, Mr. Finch owns an extensive livery stable, which he has very successfully carried on for about eighteen years; was for a time employed in operating the People's Mills. Mr. Finch ranks among the solid, enterprising business men of the county, and one of its most honorable and respected citizens. In politics, he is a Republican, is a member of the Masonic fraternity, also of the Board of Trustees of Southern Illinois Insane Asylum, and is President of the board. He was married in 1840 in Gaines, Orleans Co., N. Y., to Miss Angeline Gregory, a native of Greene County, N. Y. She died in 1851, leaving one child, Edgar A., now clerk at the Insane Asylum. Mr. Finch was married a second time, December 21, 1853, to Miss Sarah A. Philips, of Belleville, Ill.
Extracted 02 Apr 2017 by Norma Hass from 1883 History of Alexander, Union, and Pulaski Counties, Illinois, Part V, page 65.