Biography - A Finch
A. D. FINCH, dentist, Anna, was born in Hinckley, Medina Co., Ohio, October 13, 1838, and is a son of William and Louisa Ann (Marquitt) Finch, natives of New York State. He was born in 1806, and was brought up on his father's farm, where his education was confined to the subscription schools of the period. When he reached manhood, he became a carpenter and builder, and in 1836 emigrated to Hinckley, Ohio, where he died in 1849. He was a son of Andrew Finch, a native of New York, of German descent, and a farmer and carpenter. The mother of subject was born in 1806, and died at Hinckley, Ohio, May 6, 1880. She was the mother of seven children, of whom our subject was the fifth, and is the oldest of the three now surviving, the other two being Mrs. Ellen Wait, the widow of Henry Wait, a farmer of Hinckley, Ohio, and Mrs. Kate, wife of William Kratzinger, a farmer of Anna Precinct; he also attends to the pumping of water for the tank of the Illinois Central Railroad at Anna, and is one of the oldest men in the employ of the road. Dr. Finch was educated at the common schools, and at Hillsdale College of Michigan, and afterward studied dentistry. He enlisted April 23, 1861, in Battery A of the First Ohio Volunteers, under the first call for troops. He re-enlisted for three years, and in 1864 veteranized, serving until the close of the war in 1865. He participated in the battles of Shiloh) Stone River, Chickamauga, the Atlanta campaign, Nashville and many others. He was taken prisoner at Stone River, and spent a time in Libby Prison, but was soon paroled at Annapolis, and with four others walked from there to Cleveland, Ohio, in sixteen days, in the month of March. Upon his return home after the close of the war, he commenced the practice of dentistry in Medina, Ohio, and remained there until April, 1867, when he came to Illinois, and located, at Anna, where he has practiced his profession ever since. He owns a good farm within the corporate limits of the town, which he operates for his amusement and recreation of mornings and evenings, and not allowing it to interfere with the practice of his profession. He was married in 1857 to Miss Ruth Damon, a sister of Rev. J. H. Damon, of Medina, Ohio; she died in July, 1866, leaving two children, viz.: Addie B., wife of D. W. Goodman, a merchant of Anna, and Nettie R. He was married a second time, in 1868, to Miss Mary Bowman, a native of Medina County Ohio. The result of this union is five children — Carrie L., George L., Nannie L., Flora E. and Andrew M. He is a Republican in politics, and a member of the Knights of Honor.
Extracted 02 Apr 2017 by Norma Hass from 1883 History of Alexander, Union, and Pulaski Counties, Illinois, Part V, pages 65-66.