Biography - Hugh Andrews
CAPT. HUGH ANDREWS, the second child of Samuel A. and Margaret (Ramsey) Andrews, was born in Dayton, Ohio, March 16, 1834. Samuel Andrews was a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1802, and with his parents removed to Dayton in the year 1804. In this place he was reared and became a farmer. His father, Hugh Andrews, was a native of Ireland, who came to America in company with two brothers, and located in Pennsylvania. He was married in December, 1831. His consort was born in Hanover, Penn., December, 1811. They were both exemplary members of the Presbyterian Church. The issue of this marriage was eleven children, nine of whom, four sons and five daughters, survive to light with love and joy the evening of life of the venerable father. The mother passed away October 19, 1868. Capt. Hugh Andrews was reared in Dayton, and attended the common schools of that place, and afterward studied at Wittenburg, and graduated in law department of Ann Arbor University in 1864. In 1855, he came to Union County and taught school. In 1859, he went to California, and for three years was a traveler and miner in that wild, rough country. He returned to Union County in 1862, and entered the service of his country as a Captain of Company D, One Hundred and Ninth Regiment Illinois Volunteers, and continued in this service for nine mouths. He had studied law with Judge James Baggott, of Ohio, and with Col. Dougherty, of Jonesboro, and in 1864; he entered upon the practice of the law, opening his office at Anna, where he is still in the active practice of his profession, and conducting his fruit farm. In 1865, he was elected County School Superintendent, which position he filled with signal ability for four years. He entered into his office, finding it simply unorganized chaos. From this he brought order and placed the entire system of schools in Union County upon their present successful career of usefulness. He organized teachers' institutes, brought the teachers together and trained them to their work in a systematic way, and thus created a high order of graded schools. He built the most of the schoolhouses that now ornamented the school districts of the county, and has here erected a monument that will stand for many years as a fitting tribute to his intelligence, his energy and fine executive abilities. Capt. Andrews was married to Miss Kate E. Groff, October 8, 1867. She is a native of Lawrenceburg, Ind. Of this issue there have been eight children, of whom four, all girls, are now living, as follows: Christie L., Maggie, Mary and Sarah Belle. Capt. Andrews has had a busy life in Union County, practicing law, farming, and widely influencing the politics of the county, and filling important official positions. He has long been a member of the Masonic, Odd Fellows and Knights of Honor societies, and has frequently represented the first two in the Grand Lodges. He is a young man yet, hardly reached the prime of his mental life, and is well justified in looking forward to a most promising future, and being a man of noted integrity, a high sense of honor, and a genial, warm heart, with the best of social qualities, there is around him and among his extended acquaintance a host of friends who will rejoice at any and all success that may await him.
Extracted 02 Apr 2017 by Norma Hass from 1883 History of Alexander, Union, and Pulaski Counties, Illinois, Part V, pages 57-58.